Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Squid dead but subsys locked

# /etc/init.d/squid status
squid dead but subsys locked

# df -h
# rm -rf /var/run/
# rm -rf /var/lock/subsys/squid

# tail -f /var/log/messages
# tail -f /var/log/squid/cache.log
# /etc/init.d/squid start

2007/12/28 09:57:16| Starting Squid Cache version 2.5.STABLE6 for i386-redhat-linux-gnu...
2007/12/28 09:57:16| Process ID 26701
2007/12/28 09:57:16| With 1024 file descriptors available
2007/12/28 09:57:16| DNS Socket created at, port 33056, FD 4
2007/12/28 09:57:16| Adding nameserver 202.XX.XX.XXX from /etc/resolv.conf
2007/12/28 09:57:16| Adding nameserver 202.XX.XX.XXX from /etc/resolv.conf
2007/12/28 09:57:16| Adding nameserver from /etc/resolv.conf
2007/12/28 09:57:16| User-Agent logging is disabled.
2007/12/28 09:57:16| Referer logging is disabled.
2007/12/28 09:57:16| Unlinkd pipe opened on FD 9
2007/12/28 09:57:16| Swap maxSize 102400 KB, estimated 7876 objects
2007/12/28 09:57:16| Target number of buckets: 393
2007/12/28 09:57:16| Using 8192 Store buckets
2007/12/28 09:57:16| Max Mem size: 51200 KB
2007/12/28 09:57:16| Max Swap size: 102400 KB
2007/12/28 09:57:16| /var/spool/squid/ (13) Permission denied
FATAL: storeDirOpenTmpSwapLog: Failed to open swap log.
Squid Cache (Version 2.5.STABLE6): Terminated abnormally.
CPU Usage: 0.013 seconds = 0.006 user + 0.007 sys
Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
Page faults with physical i/o: 0

# ll /var/spool/squid/swap.state*
-rw-r--r-- 1 squid squid 497088 Dec 28 10:02 swap.state
-rw-r--r-- 1 squid squid 0 Dec 27 23:20

# chmod 777 /var/spool/squid/swap.state
# /etc/init.d/squid start

# chmod 644 /var/spool/squid/swap.state*
# /etc/init.d/squid start

# mv /var/spool/squid/ /var/spool/squid/
# /etc/init.d/squid start

Multiple Network connectivity issue in OpenBSD within VMWware

Only the first NIC of each Virtual machine will work .None of the rest won't.
So added a Virtual Network Resource for that Virtual machine in VMWare Control Panel
But it didn't work this time.Only the first NIC will work
So logged into the VMWare Virtual Console and checked the Virtual Switches and VLAN Settings
It was clear that there is a Virtual Switch named "vSwitch0"
And this switch contains only one NIC as its member which is "vmnic0" in our case.

So I decided to add the second NIC "vmnic3" to this switch. I tried

# esxcfg-vswitch -L vmnic3 vSwitch0

But it created problems.
After this I was unable to access the Local Network,ie the the network connected through the "vmnic0"

So I removed it from the switch and added to the same switch specifying the Portgroup also

# esxcfg-vswitch -U vmnic3 vSwitch0
# esxcfg-vswitch -p VM\ Network -L vmnic3 vSwitch0

But didn't work
So removed it

# esxcfg-vswitch -p VM\ Network -U vmnic3 vSwitch0

Created a new switch

# esxcfg-vswitch -a NewSwicth

Then added the Portgroup named "VM Network_VSNL" that is to be used by the Virtual machines.

# esxcfg-vswitch -A VM\ Network_New NewSwitch

Then brought up the "vmnic3" as the Physical UPLINK

# esxcfg-vswitch -L vmnic3 NewSwitch

Then logged into Virtual Infrastructure Client 3

Powered Off OpenBSD
Edit Settings -> Network Adapter 2
Change Switch from "VM Network" to "VM Network_New"

Power On
Then configure the second NIC(pcn1 in my case) in OpenBSD
# vi /etc/hostname.pcn1

Configure gateway and DNS Servers if required
# vi /etc/mygate
# vi /etc/resolv.conf

Then restart the network service
# sh /etc/netstart

Thats all

Auto Responder plugin in SquirrelMail

1.Download the compatibility plugin and Local Auto Responder plugin from
2.Extract it to the Squirrelmail - plugins directory
# pwd
# tar xzf compatibility-2.0.9-1.0.tar.gz
# cd compatibility
3.Patch it to your squirrelmail version
# patch -p0 < patches/compatibility_patch-1.4.11.diff
patching file ../../functions/strings.php
4.Configure the Squirrelmail to include the plugin
# cd ../../config
# ./
5.Extract Local Auto Responder Plugin
# cd ../plugins/
# tar xzf local_autorespond_forward-3.0-1.4.0.tar.gz
# cd local_autorespond_forward
6.Compile suid_backend module
# cd suid_backend/
# ./configure --enable-webuser=nobody
Here my Apache is running as user "nobody".That user should have the permission to play
with the directories under this.
# make
# make install
7.Copy the sample config.php
# cd ..
# cp config.sample.php config.php
8.Edit the config.php to use "suid" instead of "ftp" for Maildir and ".forward" files
# vi config.php
$laf_backend = 'suid';
9.Configure the Squirrelmail to include the plugin
# cd ../../config
# ./
10.Verify the Squirrelmail's ATTACHMENT DIR and DATA DIR. Verify the permission also
# vi /var/www/html/squirrelmail/config/config.php
$attachment_dir = '/var/local/squirrelmail/attach/';
11.Create it if doesn't exist
# mkdir /var/local/squirrelmail/attach
# chown nobody.nobody /var/local/squirrelmail/attach
# chmod 755 /var/local/squirrelmail/attach

Database Clustering with Sequoia

Sequoia Installation in RHEL 5 with MyOsotis